Thursday, May 5, 2011

Lessons in Love



A quick blog for a quick lesson!

Today as I was watching my little scavenger pick cheerios up off the ground and eat them (the ones that didn't make it into his mouth during breakfast), I said, "Ethan, if you want a snack you just have ask Mommy. Don't eat the cheerios off of the ground! That's not good for you. I want so much better for you than that."

So I picked him up off the floor, put him in his high chair and gave him a hand full of cheerios, peaches, bananas, and a brand new sippy cup filled with freshly chilled whole milk. Mmmmm! His eyes lit up and he flashed his toothy grin (of 4 teeth) as he signed for more (which we didn't teach him by the way. I'm not sure where he's picking up baby signs!).

I thought to myself, that's better! We were both pleased.

I couldn't help but think that this is how God sees us sometimes. God loves us and wants to bless us. He wants more for us than where we are and what we can give ourselves.

I'm sure Ethan thought nothing of the cheerios he ate off the floor. I'll bet he was even happy to do so. But I, as his Mommy, could see that he was hungry and that he was going to take care of that hunger on his own. If he would just ask, he could not only have had cheerios, but other healthy snacks too!

Sometimes I think about what I do and the choices I make in life... am I asking God for help? For answers? Am I eating out of the dumpster when God wants to invite me to His table?

It didn't happen this time, but it wouldn't have surprised me at all if Ethan complained or resisted in me helping him into his high chair. Jumping into his little brain and his little thoughts, I could just hear the protest, "Let me go! You are ruining everything! There are 3 more cheerios! How will I eat them now?!" I had just removed him from his plan.

Sometimes I think the same with God when my plans change. There are times when I am so fixated on my target and my goals that when things don't go as planned, I get discouraged and upset.

2 Scriptures come to mind:

" 'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.' "
- Isaiah 55: 8-9

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Lesson in Love #1:

Momma, although she needs to vacuum more often, Knows Best! :)...... and so does God our Father (more importantly!)


Is it possible my Heavenly Father is parenting me as I parent Ethan?
I have so much to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment